Ethereal Underground


Ethereal Underground

Authors: Briana Gaitan and Brooke Kennedy


Publication Date: November 15, 2013

Summary: Can the person who was sent to steal your soul, be the same person who steals your heart? 

The keepers are protectors of the planet Cabalin, charged with defeating identified enemies and preventing other planets from waging war on their dying planet. They are expected to keep their emotions in check and do as they are told no matter what the consequences. One of their rising warriors, however, has been placed on sabbatical for reasons unknown to those around him. Rebellious, impulsive, and moody, Ash has continued to break the rules by frequenting the Ethereal Underground, the seedy hang out in the eighth layer of the planet. Ash has always believed in the keeper’s cause, but his taste for adventure always seems to get him in trouble. 

The seraphs live on a different plane of existence. They watch over the mortals and reap their souls when it is time for them to depart to the afterlife, but do not associate with the beings otherwise. They are duty bound and loyal creatures, each of them having an affinity for a force of nature that they can use when needed. When a seraph breaks the rules, they are banished and stripped of their affinity. These evil creatures are named the fallen. Annalise, a reaper seraph blessed with an affinity for water, has always followed the rules until she is called to reap Ash’s soul and take it to the afterlife. This time, however, she finds it difficult to take the soul. 

Their worlds were never supposed to meet. Now everyone’s future is in jeopardy, their lives turned upside down as they find themselves on the run from the very people they thought they could count on. The two of them must search for a way to clear their names and hunt down the evil forces of the fallen, without losing themselves or those they hold dearest. This epic fantasy will take you on an exhilarating quest for love, truth, and revenge. (Source of Summary and Book Cover: Goodreads)

Source: Won in a giveaway

Rating: 4 stars 
Review: First of all, the summary makes this book sound like a romance, but I would say it's closer to a fantasy/adventure. 
I struggled with this book a bit at first. It felt like so much information was thrown at me in such a short amount of time. There was a lot to keep track of. I’m glad that I didn’t let that turn me away, eventually the pieces fell into place and I found myself sucked into this strange planet. Annalise is a so-so character. I found her a bit annoying. Ash was a bit more solid and well developed. I’m hoping to see more character development and growth with these two in the next book. Finlay is by far my favorite character, he is definitely the most consistent and he is quite funny.
The action and adventure in this book really drives the plot. The writing was descriptive and I found myself transported into Cabalin and desperate to see our protagonists succeed. The ending wasn’t what I wanted, but I am hopeful that this ending is setting us up for something exciting in book two (since it’s clearly not over). 

2 comments:

  1. I, too, struggled in the beginning with this one! But I'm glad I stuck around for it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristen! I'm glad i'm not the only one who had that problem :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs