Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Book Review


The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Author: Holly Black
Publication Date: September 3, 2013
Source: Purchased
Summary from Goodreads: Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.
One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.




Rating: êêêê

Review
It's official, I am a fan of Holly Black and most definitely will continue to read her work!

I was sucked into this story right away. Our main character, Tana, wakes up after a party surrounded by the corpses of her friends. I loved that the setting was Springfield, MA.

The world building was fabulous! I think we all know that vampire stories seemed to be the in thing for quite a while, and unfortunately many of those stories were repetitive and unoriginal. Holly Black's story is a breath of fresh air. She has created an interesting and unique take on vampires, with a believable human response, and she has developed an impressively authentic world.

I loved the characters. The two major characters were extremely well developed, while they are not perfect, they are likeable. Their back stories are amazingly detailed and are delivered at precisely the right moments. The supporting characters are also well developed and interesting. The villain is detestable.

The book moves at a good pace, there are quite a few unpredictable twists and turns that thicken the plot. There were a few places where the book was a bit overly descriptive for my taste, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment.

The only thing that truly bothered me was the ending. It was beautiful and perfect, but I am left with lack of completeness.


13 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book for some time now. I hope I get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on sale recently on Amazon, hope you get to read it! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. I quite enjoyed this one, too. And it's surprising since I'm not really a fan of vampires. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked the book Emily! I've been looking for a unique vampire book all this time, and I think this is the one. I'm sad that I had to return it to the library last summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go check it out again because it's worth it!

      Delete
  4. I loved this book so much but I too wished that this was a series. I can only hope that she decides to write more about coldtown in the future!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh Holly Black! Really one of the best fantasy writers ever. Glad you loved this and great review! :)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is my second Holly Black book and I am loving her writing

      Delete
  6. Ooh I'm so glad you liked this one! I loved it so much, and I agree about the ending which is why I'm excited for a rumoured sequel... great review!

    Most recent post: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-taylor-swift-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a rumored sequel! I really hope that turns out to be true!

      Delete
  7. OMG! I've been meaning to read this book, but I never quite had the time to pick it up!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna take your word for it and get to this book as soon as I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice review!! :)
    Eclectic Introspections @ Flickering Lights

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! I read and really enjoyed this book, too!! It's so awesome and unique! Though, I was actually satisfied with the ending! I blame contemporaries and their open-endings! XD

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs